Modification in Suwanee

We work with you and your partner to modify what is ordered when times change.

What Is Modification?

If your current court orders aren’t working for you, the first step is to talk to your former partner and see if you can reach an agreement together. If that doesn’t work, or you can’t figure out a different idea to fix the issue you are having, come talk to us. Maybe there is a solution to your issue you haven’t thought about. If you aren’t able to work it out with your former partner, some things can be changed and some things cannot. Only a Judge can change alimony, child custody provisions, and child support. Once you have an agreement with your former partner, it is important to put it in writing and submit it to the Judge for approval. It is possible to change things on a temporary basis to see if the change needs to be permanent.

Dodie Sachs Can Answer Your Questions About Divorce

Parenting Plans

In deciding what parenting plan is best for your child or children, draw the plan out on a blank calendar to see how the plan changes over the month. Look at how your desired plan affects their extra-curricular activities and school responsibilities. Will both parents be able to take them to their activities? How long is the gap of time where they don’t see the other parent? Make sure the schedule you want, is what is best for your child.

Children also like to see when they will be with each parent, and know where they are going to sleep at night. It is helpful to have the scheduled mapped out, where the children can access it as well.

Schedule An Appointment. WIth Dodie Sachs

What If I Have Lost My Job?

If you lose your job, it is important to tell your former partner and the Court right away. Remember, only a Judge can change your child support or alimony obligation. So the best first step is to tell your former partner that you have lost your job, and you won’t be able to pay your financial obligations. Tell them when it is going to impact them. Try to find a solution together. Also, file for a Modification with the Court as fast as you can. In Georgia, the Court can’t change the amount of support retroactively. They can’t reduce your past due amount, also called arrears, once it has been incurred. You can ask the Court to change your obligation temporarily, for a few months, and then go back to Court on a final basis. Hopefully, in the time between the temporary hearing and the final hearing, you will have found a new job, and the amount can be adjusted again to match your new income level.

Sachs Family Law Employment Impact On Divorce

Contact Sachs Family Law 

Contact Us